April 18, 2009

It's all in the perspective

Yesterday I was a Costco and had a conversation, with a nice woman on the cheese isle, that has caused some reflection on my part. As we were having the conversation I felt surreal and attributed it to the swarm of children buzzing about my cart that I could do nothing to contain in a very busy store. As I have now slept and can think more clearly I realize that there were many things that were strange about the conversation. Here is the conversation as clearly as I can remember it:
Tasting Lady: Hi girls! Would you like to try some cheese?
Swarming Children: Oh Mom, more tasting.
Me: go ahead, only one. Nate take the one you touched. turn here I need to find some cheese.
Nice lady: (also looking for cheese) What kind of cheese?
Nate: (pointing and spinning) Here's some cheese
Hazel: (bringing me a wheel of Bree) I want this kind
Me: I'm looking for a chunk of smoked Gouda
NL: That is hard to find
Me: Well, I saw some at Safeway but I was hoping to find it cheaper than $10/pound.
Sydney and Abby: Here, here is this Gouda? Is it smoked if it has the red stuff on it?
Nate: I found some cheese. How about this one.
NL: Well you know who has it is Trader Joe's I like to go there
Me: Is it a good price.
NL: Yes I can buy half that size of cheese for about the same price.
Me: Hmmm, thanks
NL: You really should go there because It is great for smaller quantities of things.
Me: (choosing a piece of unsmoked Gouda) Sure Nate you can have another taste
Nate: don't forget to buy me a giant package of gluesticks.

So this morning I realize that
  1. It is Costco, people go there to buy large quantities of everything
  2. Nice Lady must have wrongly assumed that Hazel was unfamiliar with cheese and chose Bree on accident
  3. Nice Lady must have mistaken my children for the neighbor kids out for a ride, and that I could not find anyone in my home to help me eat such a "large" chunk of cheese
  4. Half as much cheese for the same price is not a good deal
  5. I must still look young enough (which is a flattering thought) that I need help with my shopping

(In case you are wondering I decided that the smoke flavor wasn't worth the extra $5/pound.)

2 comments:

Dan and Melissa said...

Great time you had there I see. Ya, when I was reading I was thinking, half the cheese for the same price?? What a bargain! Not!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Gouda yum.... that is our favorite cheese over here, in the land of yummy cheeses and bread. Dangerous.