April 24, 2011

Nate's Baptism

April 9th Nate was baptized.  As with most things in his life, he had some definite opinions about how things should be done.  My first inkling that this would be different was: One Sunday after sacrament meeting Nate went up to talk to the bishop.  He often does this kind of thing (he calls it "doing my rounds"), visiting with people.  He came back after talking for a few minutes and said "So I was talking to the bishop about getting myself interviewed for baptism.  He says he might be available right after church, can you wait for me a few minutes?    As we were planning the program he said "I have pretty much heard all the Grandparent talks at the other kids' baptisms.  Do I have to choose Grandparents?"  I told him that it was his baptism and he could choose anyone he liked.  He chose Natalie (our family is the unofficial Natalie fan club). I can see why,  Natalie is 16, cute, musical, intelligent, laughs easily, and always has kind things to say about everyone she knows.  The most important quality in Nate's opinion is that she has time to talk to an 8 year old boy.  

Nate was also funny about the refreshments.  He was truly hoping for CTR (choose the right) cookies. I could not find a shield shaped cookie cutter anywhere so I finally bent a heart into the right shape.  We made green petit four icing that we poured over them.  Then the girls helped me pipe CTR on them all.  They turned out cute and tasty.  I forgot my camera and so the only pictures we have are the ones Kenneth's parents (thank you!) took.  You can see one corner of the CTR cookie Nate is eating in the picture below.

The other thing that was really Nate style was that the church clothes he brought to change into, were the ones he grew out of 3 months ago, and he forgot his tie.  

He was also hysterical the Sunday that they recognized him in sacrament meeting.  We teased Truman about looking sour the last time the bishop brought him up on the stand to recognize him for something.  So Nate tried not to look sour, and that caused him to grin wickedly and then raise his eyebrows when he made eye contact with someone in the congregation.  They gave him his baptism certificate to hold and let him sit on the stand by the bishop.  Nate got bored and spent the rest of the meeting licking his fingers and "writing" on the back of the baptism certificate with his wet fingers.  Luckily none of the sogginess actually tore the paper, but it is warped.  Ahh well, such is life with Nate!




 Nate with our friends (and next door neighbors) Bill and Adelaide

 Kenneth and Nate after the Baptism

 Nate and Bishop Clement

 Nate, Natalie, and Hazel


A heap of Wellings

1 comment:

Kami said...

Congratulations, Nate! That's so exciting! I heard Grandma Cornwall was there too. I'm so glad it was a special day. I had not thought to make CTR cookies. Maybe I can make some for Andy when he turns 8. Very cool!