July 31, 2011

Paul and Julie and Kids visit and I take no photos?

"Last week Paul and his family came to visit - they made really good time, faster than they expected, and got here a day early.  That made me feel justified in Sydney’s decision to stay home from her church youth activity, and I was anything but unhappy to have an excuse to stay home from work for another day. We went swimming with them at least once a day, and on Saturday we went to a city pool that had waterslides. We generally flocked to the waterslides, probably because the Dobson pools we frequent don’t have waterslides. At one point I realized that I was the ninth person in line for the slide, and that all of the people in front of me were very closely related. One of the slides was a short drop, shaped like a tilde (~) at a 45 degree angle. It made the suggestion of starting a spin, so I worked at doing a back flip as I exited. I got the boys into the act as well, and I don’t think we ever got better than going into the water upside down, but it made some glorious splashes.
We played games, exposed them to Rock Band and Dance Dance Revolution, went to the Riparian habitat, drove all over south Scottsdale looking for the Arizona History museum, and had a couple of huge lego-fests. I think that legos were the only activity that could successfully take on video games.  We had a great time with the cousins, and it was nice to see them playing together. Friday we had Pirate day. I was happy to be able to be a part of it. We made captain’s hats from newspaper, balloon swords, had a pirate dinner with (root) beer in bottles and drumsticks. Paul and I made up a fabulous treasure hunt that took the kids all over the yard, and included 4 activities as well. We had the kids dance a jig to the fife (Abby’s flute), eat a piece of hard tack (a giant cracker, aka Nutrition biscuit from LeeLee’s) and whistle, and play a few rounds of hot potato with an electronic cannonball that made an exploding noise. I liked the cannonball because although the total time from Power On to Termination varied, I quickly figured out a pattern so that I could predict the detonation with sufficiently high accuracy. "

No comments: