February 22, 2009

School sure has changed since I was in it.

While we (the kids and I) were out jogging on Thursday morning, we were talking about books we are reading and school and stuff. Sydney has been doing a science unit at ELP (Extended Learning Program). Last week they cam home with a vial of DNA that they extracted from a strawberry. I thought that was pretty neat. It sounded very similar to a lab I did in my college biology course. So... we were running and talking and Sydney says "I am working on writing summaries of different marketing strategies for my science unit."
"what does marketing have to do with science?"
"we read about this new drug that kills this one kind of bacteria. There was a study on some mice that had cancer and they escaped from a cage that was accidentally left open. The scientist didn't bother catching the mice because their life expectancy was only 6 months and they were almost up. A while later the scientist found a mouse nest with babies. This was interesting because the mice with cancer hadn't been able to reproduce. The scientist found that the mice had eaten a plant in the lab. The plant is what the drug is made from."
"Umm, marketing strategies?"
"Oh, I am the marketing executive for our group. Each group is a drug company. We are going to use that plant and make our own medicine and try it out in the classroom on some real bacteria. I am supposed to have a marketing plan. I am thinking about using 'bandwagoning' and 'Glittering Generalities'."
"I read Hop on Pop, yesterday."

No comments: