September 20, 2009

The thickness of water

Last night we went for a moonlight swim. As I have spent more time swimming I have notices that the water has become thicker. (I think that I used to fight against the water, I imagine that I thrashed around more and that the water was splashier. One day I was swimming and realized that if you cut through it and push against it, swimming is more like gliding.) The stars were out and I was laying on the water floating there in the dark watching the stars above me and it was a very mystical experience. I heard the universe whispering to me, and message was “be still”. I am trying to do that more.

I have been teaching basic canning classes at our house on Saturdays. They are going well; fun, educational, well attended. I really love canning. I love the hard work. I love the spinney rings and the pop of the lids as they seal. I love the steamy hot jars straight from the dishwasher, and the canner that was my Grandma’s. I really love to see the jars with bright contents, the labor of my own hands. I love the camaraderie and the conversation. I love it for all the times past and for the promise of the future.

No comments: