September 28, 2009

Eat it... Just eat it!

Last week we had a dinner "incident". I made sweet and sour pork. There was nothing in it that was strange or unusual, nothing that the kids don't like. Rebekah and Hazel were feeling contrary and refused to eat it. Hazel was particularly outspoken on the topic of how "disgusting" her dinner was. The girls were given the option of eat it now or eat it later. They chose to not eat it now and hope that they wouldn't have to eat it later either. Come morning and breakfast, the girls found their dinner staring at them. They decided that they would just dilly-dally until it was time to leave for school and avoid eating it. When I realized their plan I mentioned that I being the mother can call the school and excuse them for the day so that they would have time to finish. During the battle, my friend came over for something and Hazel followed me out into the driveway. I told Hazel to go eat her dinner, my friend laughed that I was having a busy morning and misspoke. I explained the dilemma. She laughed even harder.
The girls finally ate their dinners so that they could go to school. Hazel was a bit late to preschool so we had to explain the whole event again. More laughter.
Last night we had chocolate cake, with too much icing. Several children couldn't finish their cake and covered it to save for the next day. This morning I dished out the oatmeal and the kids reminded me that they hadn't eaten all their "dinner". "Mom, tell we have to eat our cake!!" Again laughter. So I told them that after they ate their oatmeal they would have to eat their cake. Everyone left for school and no oatmeal or cake was left.
Weird Kids.

1 comment:

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Sounds like everyone is well fed. Good trick.