October 24, 2010

Dishwasher Abuse

Five years ago Monday,  I took Abigail (Age 5), Rebekah (age 3) Nate (age 2) and Hazel (age 7 weeks) to Sears to replace our dishwasher.  Thanksgiving was coming, guests were coming, and I was exhausted.  I told the salesman that I wanted to buy a dishwasher that I could take the dishes off the table and stick them in and they would be clean.  We looked for almost an hour at all my options and finally found one that I could afford.  The baby was hungry and so I had to bounce on my toes to keep her happy in the sling.  Nate and Rebekah were tired of opening all the refrigerators and Abby was trying to climb in the driers.  The salesman entered all my info in the computer and then said "umm it's out of stock and I can't get it to you before thanksgiving..."  I nearly cried.  I calmly said "I guess I am not going to buy a dishwasher today after all".  I turned to go and he in desperation said "How about I sell you the next model up for the same price!" SOLD!  I even bought the 5 year warrantee for $150.  It was the safest bet I ever made.  We have run that dishwasher on average 2x's a day for 5 years.  I think that every part has been replaced at least once including the electronic control panel this summer and the motor assembly last week.  The repair man is making one last visit this week to replace my rinse aid dispenser again.  (I hate to say it Sears Repair Plan "You lost money this time!")

As proof of our use here is a photo of the "chopper".  The left is the new chopper and the one on the right is the used one.  The chopper is a garbage disposal type part.  I had to laugh when we pulled the old one out because there is almost nothing left of the chopper arms.

1 comment:

Dan and Melissa said...

Wow! Glad you got the warranty! Hope it keeps lasting for a while once the warranty is up as well. :-)