May 31, 2009

Kamping at Kartchner Kaverns

Kenneth skipped father and sons this year because he was at the zoo on Abby's camp-out, so to make up for the lost male bonding we had a family camping trip. We all went down near Tuscon and camped for 2 nights. Here are the highlights according to Me.

I was going to make a hamburger Helper box for dinner and I realized I could make something better based on the idea on the box of Hamburger Helper, and the thing that I made was indeed better than what was in the box.

Hazel climbed in my lap and then threw up all over me. Then declared that she felt much better. She also told me that it is ok if she throws up on me because she is still a little kid. However, I am not allowed to throw up on little kids.

Friday morning we took a 2.5 mile hike through the foot hills. The kids and I saw a rattle snake just off the path (like 12 inches) and had to walk past it. I was really nervous but Nate advised me very calmly that he has learned about walking past snakes in school and the trick it to walk calmly.

We took a tour of the cave and it was cool. It is "one of the 10 best caves in the world". I think that the really amazing thing to me, was that the cave is in nearly pristine condition. In order to keep it that way they Rangers are a little obsesive. If you touch anything other than the stainless steel hand rail you have to report it and they come through in the evening and clean it. As we were leaving I heard two of the Rangers talking: R1 so how many things did they touch? R2 actually nothing. R1 Not even the dog? R2 Not even the dog! R2 actually took a picture of our family because we were the first group with a service dog that he had ever been with.

We had to leave the park to go to the store in town and on our way back in I drove over a big stick in the road. I didn't hear the crunch I was expecting and looked in my rearview mirror to see if I broke it and saw a big red splat. We turned around and went back so Kenneth could see the Diamondback rattlesnake that I hit. It was still alive and had left the road to hide in the grass.

Saturday morning we went to Toumbstone, AZ and we saw a biker dude with a parrot names Caesar. He let the kids stroke it's head then I gor to let it on my arm and it walked up and sat on my shoulder. My kids tell me I looked just like Captain Jack Sparrow.

Kenneth really enjoyed the camping and the children. I had a great time with them all.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

One time I ran over a rock thinking that it was MUCH smaller than it was. It turned out to be large enough to slow down the car and leave a huge dent in the oil pan. Luckily it didn't create a hole. I wish it had been a snake. Camping...good times!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Fun camping trip! Even with the barfing episode.

Sharon and Spencer said...

Those are funny stories! That was hilarious about Hazel throwing up in your lap. It's true though, they are allowed to do that somehow, but you are not. haha.