May 22, 2012

Prepared for Real Life


I spent much of my life before college preparing for "Real Life".  At school, teachers were always telling me that I would need to have better penmanship because "Next year, your teachers will not accept this".  Guess what, by the time I got to college, no one cared if I used D'Nealian or cursive or if I just printed.  Don't get me wrong, there is much I learned in High School that is invaluable, like how to write a great 5 paragraph essay.

Tonight I was laughing to myself as I made fortune cookies with Sydney at ten o'clock at night.  I realized that I had been prepared for just this moment in the Young Women's Program.  I was 16.  My friends and I were responsible for conducting every few months and part of that job was to focus on one of the Young Women's values.  I remember it was integrity that we were highlighting that month.  We made fortune cookies with the definition of integrity as the fortune.  We had so much fun making and sharing the cookies.  I never thought that I would share that same fun with my own daughter 20+ years later.  I thought I was learning leadership skills.

1 comment:

Pam said...

All things come back around. You are a great leader and a great mom.
I love you.
Your mom