August 24, 2012

Welcome Ladson

Yesterday, our exchange student finally arrived.  We had been so excited for him to get here.  I took all the kids out of school, except Christian (because he was busy being elected Tzar of Academic Decathlon).  When I got to Abby's school, she was waiting by the office door.  I went to sign her out and found that she had already filled in the sign-out sheet.  It the reason for leaving column she had written in tiny print "going to the airport to pick-up our exchange student from Brazil!".   When Rebekah's teacher received the call from the office, he said "I know all about it.  She has been excited all morning."  Hazel was so excited that she sent Ladson a facebook message the night before to let him know what she would be wearing and find out what he would be wearing so that they would be able to recognize each other.

We spent the evening playing some games and talking about what classes he might like to take.  He brought a gift for each of us.  I can tell that he really thought about each person and what they might like.  I think it is very hard to buy gifts for strangers, I can only imagine how hard it would be if the strangers are also foreigners.  I think he did a great job.  He also brought some Brazilian candies to share.  They are all good, it is fun to see how thinks so simple as candy can be so different in some ways and the same in others.  Chocolate and peanuts seem to be universally accepted as yummy.

I am really impressed with Ladson's english.  Somethings we say, he doesn't understand but we can usually explain in another way and he can understand.  I am glad that he tells us when he doesn't understand, because then we know to try again.  He is very smart and kind, this is a good combination. Hazel has been waiting to teach him to play Sorry.  She and Nate played Sorry with him last night and he caught on very quickly and Hazel did not cry when she wasn't winning.

It is interesting to have a new member of the family.  I hope that he will be able to tell me what he wants and needs, so that he is happy here.





No comments: