March 28, 2010

#1 Family Backpacking Adventure

Here is what Kenneth had to say:

"We went backpacking yesterday as a family - to the same place we
went last week with the scouts. Lennard Fuller and his two older children
came along with us. They are the ones going to Havasupai with us this
summer. We got off late because I was slow. That is becoming characteristic
of me, and I am starting to look hard towards avoiding having lateness
become a permanent part of my resume. As it was, we had short hike -
probably 1 to 1.5 miles, and got most of camp set up before dark. Then we
sat around and talked. The girls all said they were very tired, so they went
to bed at about 8:30, then talked and played in their tents until about 10.
After breaking camp and filtering some water in the morning, we set out and
hiked the long way back out. I think we went about 6 or 7 miles - I can't
find my map. Hazel did amazingly well. I didn't expect her to be good for
more than 2 miles, but she hiked the whole way. There was a good amount of climbing, too. I only carried her once, and it was of such short duration
that it hardly counts. The kids all claimed to have enjoyed it, and seemed
proud of themselves for their accomplishment."



I was really impressed, the kids all carried their own sleeping bag, and some other items.  I divided up all the stuff and loaded each kid up with what I thought they could carry.  They all exceeded my expectations.  They all had good attitudes and didn't complain once (except Hazel who complained less than normal).  I really thought that they would have some sore muscles, but no one has any they will admit to.  I am feeling a bit more confident about going to Havasupai.

About the photos in the slide show.  The pictures of the fire pit are of Truman demonstrating his fire lighting skills.  He used his flint and steel and his infamous "baggie of dryer lint" that he carries on all camp-outs.  The photo of the "wire racket" looking thing is actually a grill that Truman made (out of barbed wire) on a previous visit to the same location with the boy scouts, he did say that he left it in the fire to get it red hot before he cooked his food on it. We followed our Easter season tradition of roasting marshmallow peeps over a fire.  If you have never tried this delicacy you should.  The sugar coating melts and caramelizes.  You must let the melted sugar cool a bit but then when you bite into it, it is a crunchy caramel shell over liquid marshmallow fluffy deliciousness.  There is also a photo of Kenneth filling his cup at Hackberry springs.

Because of all the rain we have had this winter, the wildflowers were dazzling.  They were everywhere, it was beautiful.  I almost forgot that I live in a desert.  (except for the cacti).

The hike also ushered in a new era for me personally, my hiking boots fell apart.  I bought this pair of boots for Archaeology field school in 1996, and they have served me well.  When I put them on I noticed that there was a little rip in the heel of one boot.  3/4 of the way back to the trailhead the heel of one boot peeled loose and began flipping as I walked. Christian pulled out his trusty knife and cut it off.  Then about 100 yards from the parking lot the other sole started flipping.  It was also cut off.  I have been declared "soleless".

Kenneth really wanted to rush right out and get me a new pair but we were too tired to go anywhere by the time we got all the camping gear cleaned up!

I am still tired...

1 comment:

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

It looks like we might need to buy some peeps. We are still building fires in our fireplace.....no hikes or campfires yet.