March 7, 2010

Winter? what winter?

My winter garden has done really well this year, and it was pretty too. Kenneth laughed at me for planting flowers in my vegetable garden, but I have really enjoyed the splash of color!


We grew peas, we never cooked them because the kids had too much fun standing out there eating them off the vine. Hazel somedays would pick a big pile and have them next to her while she colored.
I have tried several time to grow celery and have been unsuccessful, so this time I just dumped a whole pack of seeds down a row. I didn't think about it again and then I was out picking things for salad and realized that the whole package came up!
We also had great luck with broccoli and cauliflower. It was delicious and bug free!!


These pictures I took Friday. My trees are all starting to bloom. I love citrus trees because they are the only fruit tree that blossoms with fruit still on the tree. I think the effect is very nice when I go out to pick a lemon or orange (not the grapefruits, I already ate them all) and to be surrounded with the flowers and the heavenly smell!

I also discovered a little patch of Johnny Jump ups among the carrots!

My apple tree in bloom, and blue sky!


1 comment:

Jacob said...

I am very jealous of your garden and that you can grow stuff in the winter.