March 14, 2010

Bike Safety

I was beginning to think myself grown up.  I have crashed my bike twice in the last month.  It is a little embarrassing to admit to but Kenneth's reaction was too funny today so I will relate the story.

The first time I crashed was not very interesting, I decided to hop my bike up the curb.  The boys make it look so easy, so I went for it and misjudged.  I hit the curb hard and didn't fall but I had several large bruises. (Hazel and I have a detachable tandem bike thing, but she and her part of the bike were at preschool)

Today on the way home from church, riding my bike with Hazel and her attachment, we were talking to Christian and Truman.  Hazel and Truman have bells on their bikes and like to ring them and joke around.  And the boys cater to her insistence that they do tricks. We were all being funny and I was teasing Truman that we should "Zip" Kenneth and Rebekah's  tires because they are slow pokes.  Truman decided to cut in front of me an "Zip" Kenneth himself.  So I came up behind Truman to "zip" him.  Kenneth hit his brakes. Truman's stopped bike caught my front tire and I ate asphalt. In my church clothes none the less.

Here is the sweet part. Nate put neosporin and a bandaid on my skinned knee and was willing to put one on my skinned chin.  He was so cute, worried about me.  Tonight at family prayer he blessed me that I wouldn't crash my bike anymore.

And the Funny part:  Kenneth was feeling really bad about causing the accident.  He was apologizing to me, repeatedly.  I admitted that I had been trying to zip Truman and that's why I was so close to them.  He got this funny look on his face and the rest of the day when he sees my scraped up chin he grins.  I think he is laughing inside at what a silly girl he married.

Definately not grown-up to crash my bike goofing around!

There's always next year...

No comments: