September 18, 2011

The Great Unveiling

It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words.  In this case I think that the immensity of my thoughts must be great (or perhaps the photos extraordinarily bad) because they are far greater than what an image can capture.   Let me begin at the beginning.  We have new marching band uniforms.   I help on the uniform committee, and there has been different stress this year getting the band outfitted.  I love getting to know the kids better and seeing them work so hard on their show.  They change so dramatically over the season.  Friday night was the "public debut" of the new uniforms.  The band was just marching to the stadium as we were arriving, so we stood and watched.  Truman came by with his sousa on his shoulder and I was surprised at how impressive they were in appearance as well as demeanor.  Here is what the band director said, and I couldn't agree more.  "while the audience was captivated by the new look, it was the commanding presence that each of you assumed in uniform that profoundly impressed me."  The other component is the really grainy photo below.  Christian is the one in the center of the picture.  I was remembering his performances as a freshman, there was a hint of uncertainty.  He was a little uncomfortable looking; in his uniform, in the stands, at his instrument and with the dancing and moving with the music.  Two years later he is at home.  He looks sharp in his uniform, he is the instigator of dancing, he is at one with his marimba.

So as I stood in the stands watching my little boys become men, I wanted to shout out: Those are my boys! Aren't they Amazing!






No comments: