September 4, 2011

Blender Burn Up

Situation #1.  I have a personal problem with bananas. Sunday mornings when there are bananas in the house, Kenneth and the kids make banana milkshakes.   I can see why people would like them, but I can't eat them.   YUCK!

Situation #2.  I have a personal problem with blenders.  I burn them up faster than normal people.

Situation #3.  I am frustrated enough by situation 2 that last July (2010)  when I burned up another,  I researched a good blender.  Cooks Illustrated called it their best buy blender.  I bought one and smelled ozone 2 months later.  I called them and they said it was covered by a 1 year warrantee.  All I had to do was ship it to them and they would repair it or send me another one.  The shipping was almost half the price of the blender.  I got a new one in the mail from them 2 months later.

Situation #4.  Banana milkshakes Aug 21st got the better of the blender just 2 months after the warrantee was up.

Situation #5.  I am at costco and see a manly looking Cuisinart blender (we [I say "we" now because it wasn't me this time] haven't burned up this brand yet).  It has bigger jar and 700 Watts of power and a smoothie setting.   I make an observation to Kenneth that it is sad to have no blender and the one at Costco looks promising.

Situation #6.  It was my birthday and I was lucky to receive a cool Cuisinart blender, but the one in my lap is only 600 Watts.

Solution #1. The next day I sneak out to exchange the blender.  The very manly blender I desire is not there! I knew better.  Every time I see something at Costco that I really want and don't buy, it isn't there when I go back.  The nice guy checks in the computer and it doesn't exist.  I tell him my story and he looks again and discovers that it is only available online.  "maybe someone bought it online and then didn't like it and returned it to the store so we only had the one to sell. sorry..."

Solution #2.  I come home and find the 7oo Watt at Costco.com , darn it was more expensive than the one  at the store.  I looked it up on Amazon.com and it was the same price but with no tax. I checked for other deals while I was at it and found the "Ninja" blender.  There it was refurbished, in my price range and with 1000 Watts power.

Now: I checked the tracking number and it left New Jersey Friday.  I am anxious to see a demonstration of its 6 blade ninja technology.  Perhaps I will buy some bananas...

4 comments:

Kami said...

I too have a personal problem with bananas. Can't stand them. But I buy them for whoever in the house would like them. Milkshakes must be banana free and must also involve chocolate.

Kelly said...

I've been very interested in the vitamix ($400 before tax but with a 7 year warranty). I have huge problems with paying that kind of money for a kitchen appliance (although I really wouldn't mind having a kitchen aid). My kids and I sat for a half an hour while the guy demonstrated the things you can do with it. Every thing was very tasty, but I don't know if I can pay that much for it.

Ann said...

Megan, is your Ninja blender still working as well for you? We are also in a blender predicament. Andrew is convinced we need a VitaMix (for $500). I am not. But I am tired of wimpy blenders that don't last.

I was at Costco today and saw the Ninja and thought of you! Thought I'd check and see how you like it, 9 months later.

Unknown said...

It is still working splendidly!! I am very pleased.