September 25, 2011

I am Me!

Today at church we had a presentation about the "I am a mormon"publicity campaign. We watched a few of the video clips about people who are members of the church.  They are well done.  We were encouraged to submit our own profile.  It is an interesting opportunity to reflect on who I am and how that relates to what I believe and who I hope to become.  I feel a little plain next to the cool video clips, well decorated homes, and well chosen music.  I once submitted an essay to This I Believe.  When I was writing it I felt empowered.  When they sent me a letter saying that it was not chosen to "spotlight" I felt plain.   I do sometimes wonder if I am leaving the world any better than I found it.  I hope so.  I did submit a profile, it takes a few weeks for it to go through the screening process.  I wonder if it will just seem plain to people who read it.  I once had a friend tell me that Mormons are too extreme.  I have a hard time thinking that my plain life is extreme.  I suppose that not drinking and smoking are not the norm.  I freely admit that 7 kids is going a bit far for some people.  I don't feel "cultish" or "weird".  I feel confident and secure.  On second thought, I do feel a bit extreme... Extremely blessed.  Extremely Happy!

3 comments:

Jacob said...

We also had the presentation on Sunday and I also feel very plain, but that is not new. I always remember something president Hinckley quoted “[The fact is] most putts don’t drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. …"

I may not have a leg I machined myself, but I love God and I want to be good. That's got to count for something.

Laurel!!! said...

I don't think you're plain and you have vastly affected my life. Just sayin.

Claire said...

Wow! They are just asking you for that now. We were one of the pilot areas for that in MN. They started the campaign and had us do profiles 1 1/2 to 2 years ago.

On paper you may look sorta plain...we all do unless we do something outstanding. The problem is that you probably don't mention all the outstanding things in something like a profile.

For example, I am Megan Welling. I do plumbing, have 7 kids, make stained glass Mary and Josephs, sew a mean scrub top, put penguins in my front yard, lose a pound cake, save my cousins life just by giving her toilet paper, am every teenagers favorite "cool" mom, die my hair orange and learn from it, make cheese, eat and talk like a pirate, and wear a swimming suit in public.....How unplain is that? Totally unplain in my book. If only my profile could look so exciting! I am Amazing, but you are AweSome!