October 6, 2011

Biker Boy

Nate has recently upgraded from Truman's really old (purchased 6 years ago) bike to Truman's recently outgrown bike (only 3 years old).  Nate is so excited to have such a cool bike.  He practiced riding it around and around the yard and then we took it for it's maiden voyage (to a swimming party at our friend's house).  The next day it had a flat tire.  He asked me to fix it, I said I would.  I kept forgetting and he started writing it on my to do list every day.  Finally he got tired of waiting and took the wheel off.  In pieces the bike moved up the list to the top and between the big boys and I he got enough help to fix the flat and put the new handgrips on.  He took it for a spin around the block.  Hazel was  supervising and came in with out him.  "Umm Mom?  Nat wants you to come get him and he says you will need paper towels."  "Is he bleeding?"  "no. His chain did something."  Truman kindly volunteered to go get him.  He was only a few houses down.  Truman explained that it is best to shift gently and smoothly so that your derailer doesn't just throw the chain off, and that it is not necessary to wipe the oil off the chain with paper towels.  I guess Nate and Hazel had reasoned that the chain came off because it was greasy.

No comments: