October 2, 2008

It's Finally Fall

The first few years we lived here, I yearned for the 4 distinct seasons we enjoyed in Utah. I spent many hours bemoaning the fact that the trees don't change color. I have in the last few years come to peace with my Arizona Native status. I have learned to love the subtlety of the spring and fall.

It is Autumn here. If you don't know what to look for you might miss it.
* I have been able to exclusively run my swamp cooler the last couple weeks and the fresh air is glorious after the summer of recirculated air-conditioning.
* I can walk outside barefooted anytime of day.
* The kids play outside without water and/or Otterpops.
* I don't have to wash the swimming towels every other day.
* The fruit lady in East Mesa has beautiful Utah peaches, apples, and berries. So we can do our fall canning.
* The flowers are all blooming and the summer grass is still green(ish).
* We can ride my bike to storytime at the library and play on the playground.
* We picked beans, cucumbers, and beets from our garden.
* I sleep with my windows wide open and get chilly.

I never thought I would love Arizona. Truly, I didn't even think that I could like Arizona. It has become home to me and now I can't imagine ever leaving her.

No comments: