July 4, 2009

Independence Day

This trip has really brought home to me all that I hold dear. I have been so impressed with our kids. They have been great travelers and fabulous tourists. I have also been reminded of the great heritage that is ours, our pioneer ancestors and our founding fathers. What a great debt I owe to so many who have given so much so that my life can be wonderful.

Today we celebrated our Independence in our nation's capitol. We got to The Mall early, Paul and I saved seats for the parade while some of the kids, Julie and Kenneth went to the National Archives to see a dramatic reading of the declaration of independence. The we watched the parade and had lunch. We walked the mall all day and saw all the monuments that we cared to. I particularly enjoyed Lincoln. Hazel had her photo taken on Einstein's lap because they have the same hair. Sydney read a book about Eleanor Roosevelt and so had her picture there.

We were all tired and went to the metro station only to find that they had closed that station so we had to walk 4 more blocks to the next one. The kids were real troopers and didn't complain.

After we viewed the monuments we had an adventure trying to find a good spot for viewing that had available parking. Then Julie had an adventure trying to find us. We had a great picnic dinner and really enjoyed the fireworks!

I would highly recommend the 4th of July on the Capitol Mall!!!


1 comment:

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

We never made it to the mall on the 4th for fireworks. (we like bedtime too much here.)