July 6, 2009

Last Day in D.C.

"So, this week started with the National Holocaust Memorial Museum. It was a very interesting exhibit. 4 floors worth. When the exhibits dealt with large generalities or large groups of people did not have the same emotional impact as a couple of the exhibits that discussed individuals and their lives. I went in asking the question, “What would bring a nation to behave in such a manner?” and, “What would make a group of people so susceptible to a charismatic leader?” The answer I think was a sense of unrest, that the national pride had been insulted, general dissatisfaction, and being under-educated. Thus the need to provide education to all people is underscored in my mind. I was most impressed to read about the groups that resisted in the ghettos and in the concentration camps. I had always hoped that there was someone who resisted and fought back and tried to preserve their own lives. They were not ever successful on a large scale, but they are a great inspiration to me, restoring faith in the human spirit. The fact that gypsies (Roma), Jehovah’s Witnesses, and political enemies were killed along with the Jews is also glossed over in the history books. I was also very impressed with the number of non-targets that assisted underground movement to help people escape. There was a whole wall full of their names, sorted by country. How embarrassing for countries like Russia that only had one name on the wall. I had also never realized how much of a role our own country played with its informed inaction." From Kenneth's Sunday Letter


I thought that the Holocaust Museum was very well done and was interesting as a study of history as well as an opportunity for introspection. What kind of person am I? Kenneth and I took Christian, Truman, Sydney and Abby. (Paul met us after lunch) At home, before we left on our trip Abby expressed interest in coming and I had my doubts so I told her she had to read books about the Holocaust so she knew what she was asking. She read quite a few and still wanted to come. I think that she found it interesting. I can't say enjoyed it because that doesn't do the depth of the impact justice. We were all glad we went.


When we got back to Paul and Julie's house, they had prepared a fun Brazilian BBQ dinner. We lit some of the fireworks that we had bought in Illinois. Some of them weren't legal in Virginia.


We had a great visit.


No comments: