December 25, 2009

Going Going Gone...

We have after 10 years, finally gone native! We made Tamales for our Christmas dinner. I have a very kind friend Carmen, 2 years ago I went to her house to help her make Tamales. I learned alot about making them, more interesting she shared her memories of Christmas and that to her Tamale is the smell of Christmas. I always associated pine smell with Christmas. Arizona Christmases have taken me a while to get used to but, this year I wasn't hungry for a ham. It was the tamales calling to me. I called Carmen to ask her where I should go to buy masa and where to get chile sauce that isn't bitter. She said she had some extra as she had made too much, and I could come get it. I drove right over and not only picked up some chili but also a roaster to cook the meat and hand writte instructions. The next day she called to ask how it was coming. She offered to come over the next morning to get us started.

Abby and Truman mixing masa.

Everybody helped with assembly.



So with a good teacher, we made 10o Tamales! Ahh, the smell of Christmas in the air!

No comments: