September 15, 2012

FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

We went to the City of Mesa "block party" The theme was Pirates.  There were lots of Corsets and Ugly Beards.  There was lots of fire.  Fire is fun.  


Here is Nate (in green plaid) watching these fire dancers.  My favorite part was that the girl was dressed swanky and her partner was wearing yellow running pants with black stripes down the leg.  I'm not sure if they had discussed what they might wear for the performance.  Or maybe the guy was hoping it would be darker, or that I would take pictures on the firework setting so his pants wouldn't show...

I took this picture on my fireworks setting, it looks much cooler in the photo than it did in real life!


Hula Hooping, abby can make it go around her arm.   She did this and then went to claim her "prize", a purple plastic 6 legged porcupine.

Hazel is pretty good.  I love the smile in the background of this picture.

 Nate and the Awesome Neck-Hooping.

 The men win the prize.  Kenneth and Ladson are the winners of the Welling hula-hoop contest.


We also saw a juggler.  He did tricks with black light,  I tried taking a couple of pictures and they were worthless.  I remembered the firework mode. Once again, I think the photos are pretty cool.  I might even start taking all pictures in this mode! (just kidding).  First he juggled LED light up balls.
 Then he juggled fire.  Here is when I caught the high toss of the flaming baton in the picture.

 Hazel and Ladson talked to the beautiful stilt walker.


Artists and groups had tables along Main street.  This table was about the Society for Creative Anachronism.  They dress up in medieval armor and battle other clubs.  I was told that this is good because it promotes chivalry.  The armor was pretty cool.  Abby said that anyone who does this is weird.  I asked her if she would ever go on a pioneer reenactment trek.  She looked sheepish and said yes.  I think weird is good.




No comments: