June 24, 2009

Day Three

After a nice breakfast we packed up and said Goodbye to Scott Jami and the boys, and headed out to drive across Kansas. Kenneth took us to the Air Force Academy for a little look-see. It is an amazingly large campus, and like the rest of Colorado Springs... Beautiful.


Then we really set out. Here is some fine views of the Kansas landscape.




Here we are in Kansas City. Notice the dog head on the antenna. It looks like Dejay and the girls found it so that we could have Dejay with us (in spirit) on our trip.

We stopped for the night in Oak Grove Missouri at a KOA. We were setting up the tent when we noticed the fireflys. I really never thought that I would ever get to see one, let alone hundreds. The kids had a great time catching them.





The humidity was everything that everyone said it would be. It was nice that we had been acurately warned. We had tacos for dinner and local time was 9:30pm so the pool was already closed, but the kids weren't tired. So Kenneth organized a moonlight kickball game.


Hazel washed the dishes for me so that she could wear the headlamp. Then she asked to go to bed. We walked up to the bathroom together, at which point she decided she did not want to wear the headlamp because it was bringing all the bugs right up into her face. When we came out of the bathroom there was a nice breeze picking up. I tucked her into her sleeping bag and went to secure the tent against the wind, which was beginning to whip the tent. Kenneth and I were pretty sure that it wouldn't rain but that the rain fly would add stability to the tent. Just as we finished getting it on the rain started to came down in great torrents. Inside the tent stayed mostly dry and the kids went to bed. Kenneth and I agreed that it was a pretty fun adventure, and I went to bed to enjoy the storm.

1 comment:

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I remember the first time I saw fireflies. I thought they only existed in fairytales. Have a great trip. I wish we were there to see you. One year too late.