June 14, 2009

Summer Book Club

My kids read way too much and every summer Kenneth and I plot ways to expand their reading to new generes or at least to include more reading in the nonfiction area. I had this great inspiration and we have a book club, we meet on Mondays (because our library is closed on Mondays). Everyone reads a book that has to do with Washinton DC, a biography of a president or historical figure, a historic event, or even a book about a landmark or monument. I thought that the kids would think it was a dorky idea, but they seem to really be enjoying it. At our meeting everyone reports on 5 things they learned about in their book. So far we have learned about: Abraham Lincoln, famous American Women, fun facts about presidents, Albert Einstein, George Washington's dogs, the civil war, Facts about the white house, Eleanor Rosevelt, and more I can't remember...

2 comments:

Darin said...

Megan-- do you know that you are absolutely amazing? I just wish I could be a fly on a wall to see how you do it all, so well and so happily. Truly you are an inspiration!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Imagine kids reading too much. Great idea with the nonfiction. We are working with Micah on trying to read alone. He can do it, but just a little lazy.