June 24, 2009

Liberty Jail

We drove to Liberty Missouri, and visited Liberty Jail. The church purchased the jail site and rebuilt a cross-section reconstruction of the original jail and a visitor center over/around it. We learned a bit more about some of the history of the early saints and their trials. One interesting factoid we heard was that The Extermination Order was still in effect in Missouri until the 1970’s.

The jail itself was used to house some of the most terrible criminals and so to jail the prophet there was a big message to the people. We learned that many people came to see the Prophet and the 5 other men that were with him, they were quite disappointed to see that he looked just like other men, a gentleman in his Sunday best.

There were two small windows in the jail and members of the church and friends would smuggle things like food and pens and paper to the prisoners. I had forgotten that Liberty Jail was the location where several revelations were received by Joseph Smith.

Nate leaned over to me during the presentation and told me that he could feel the Holy Ghost letting him know that Joseph Smith was really a prophet. I have to say that I too was strongly impressed also as to the great blessings of the restoration and the importance of the refining fire in our lives to help us on our paths to become more like Christ.









A replica of what the golden plates looked like.

The barred window that friends could sneak items to the prisoners. The walls are 4 feet thick and the kids were curious about how far they could reach. Truman tried to wedge his whole body into the opening.


2 comments:

Pam said...

When Dad and I visited Liberty jail it was an amazing experience. It is hard to understand why anyone would treat another human being like that.

Kelly said...

I remember distinctly when I had an experience about Joseph Smith. I was watching Kenneth Cope in his production of My Servant, Joseph and felt a sincere burning in my heart and I know it was the Spirit testifying that he was a true prophet of God. I am so excited your children get a chance to go see all of those historical places. I bet they are learning so much.